Packing slippers seems like a no-brainer, right? Especially those soft, cozy ones with bunny ears. But what about designer heels and pricey loafers? The irregular shapes and fine finishes on your fancier shoes create somewhat of a packing dilemma. But if you follow the steps to pack your shoes carefully, they’ll all arrive at your new home safely and ready for their next outing.
Moving Supplies You’ll Need to Pack Your Shoes
- The original shoe boxes, if available
- Small- and medium-sized moving boxes (more on packing box sizes here)
- Cloth shoe bags with drawstrings (optional)
- Tissue paper
- Packing paper
- Packing tape
- Permanent black marker
Steps for Packing Shoes for a Move
1. Gather all of your shoes and set them up next to your packing station
Your bed is a great place to gather your shoes together. Place an old sheet on the bed, then group your shoes by type. Put all sandals in one group, trainers in another, heels in another, and so on. Use this process for each family member’s shoes. Some shoes may be sitting in a mud-room, or near a door. Be sure to gather those too. Any dirty, muddy shoes should, of course, be wiped clean before packing.
2. Purge and organize
Toss damaged or worn-out shoes that are no longer usable. Donate shoes you never wear or that are uncomfortable. If your children’s shoes are still perfectly usable, but won’t be passed down to younger siblings, donate them.
3. Pack your quality shoes and boots
Start by packing your more expensive pairs. First, stuff the toe box of each shoe with crushed tissue paper so it will retain its shape. Fill boots from toe to shaft with crumpled tissue paper. Then, wrap each shoe or boot in a piece of tissue paper and place it in the original box, just as when they were new. If you still have the original drawstring shoe or boot bags, be sure to use those. Place the filled shoe and boot boxes in a moving box and fill the empty spaces with crushed packing paper. If you don’t have the original boxes or drawstring bags, carefully wrap each shoe or boot with tissue and place in small moving boxes with plenty of crushed packing paper.
4. Pack your everyday shoes
You can pack your everyday shoes in moving boxes, no problem.
- First, prepare a medium size moving box. Securely tape the bottom seam of the box, then place a layer of crumpled packing paper in the bottom of the box. Now you’re ready for your sandals, shoes, and boots.
- Fill boots with crushed tissue paper, so they’ll hold their shape.
- Then, wrap each shoe or boot separately in a sheet of packing paper. Place a layer of wrapped shoes at the bottom of the box.
- Crumple extra packing paper around and on top of the wrapped shoes. Add another layer of wrapped shoes on the crumpled paper.
- Finally, place one additional layer of crumpled packing paper on the top.
5. Tape the moving box closed and label
Securely tape the top seam of the moving box. Use your permanent black marker to label the box with the contents, such as ‘dress shoes,’ ‘sandals,’ ‘boots,’ and so forth. And be sure to write the destination room.